So, I’ve been stuck on how to make the gears work on my train model for ages (ages is three years.) I already knew how to place objects into hierarchies and move the object axis so that wasn’t a problem, the problem was I couldn’t make an object move and have a specific axis and point in the right direction like below.
After downloading and dissecting the project file for the clip above I found out it all depended on the target tag so after an hour of tweaking I simply attached the target tag onto the part I dubbed “driver” and linked it to a nul object attached to the piston and SHAZAM! It worked!
I also discovered this could have been done in 1/4 of the time with the constraint tag.